Monday, October 27, 2014

Updates on Stuff. Thaangs.

First off, I would like to point out that Grave Story is not dead. I know it's been a while since I've said anything about it (7 months worth of long whiles), but it's very much alive.
So why the lack of updates, you might ask? Well it was brought to my attention that I probably should answer that question.

So there's this guy, Gemsteam. He's working on his own forum-based game mildly inspired by Forum Fantasy. On the occasion we share resources for VX Ace we find, such as scripts, graphics, ideas, etc. More him than me, but that's besides the point. He decided to show me this VX to VX Ace converter- which basically ports the engine. So after a little talking, I said I might do it eventually. Well said idea stuck in my head. I couldn't get it out of my head. I eventually decided to see how much work it would involve doing such a thing- and I decided to eventually do it.

Why no work on Grave Story? Because I've been working on the ported/updated Forum Fantasy, that's why. Things need fixing, and there's no point in updating the game without adding some new content- nobody would have a reason to play otherwise, so I'm adding a few quests while I'm at it. Except I also have procrastination issues. Like... really bad. So I've been procrastinating updating Forum Fantasy. Go freaking figure.

What's that mean for Grave Story? It's very much alive, just on hold at the second. But it's good at the same time, because ideas come to me all the time for stuff I can do for it, which basically is making me better prepared to do stuff with it. I WANT this game to be better than Forum Fantasy in almost every way, and having thought some of it out extensively is better than what I did with Forum Fantasy- AKA not thinking it out whatsoever and winging the whole flippin' thing. And the more I write down ideas, the more confident I am about it overall.

I've also got some really big things going on in my life right now. As in, life-changing things. Which is obviously keeping me preoccupied and less focused on making stuff.

But anyway, that's just what's going on for the time being.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know that you're still alive, man. (I'm the developer of Ethernet Odyssey.)

    I have some questions for you.

    1. How's Forum Fantasy's update coming along? Do you think you might be able to get it out by March?

    2. Where did you get the main inspiration for Grave Story.

    3. If it's not too personal, what are your real-life issues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know who you are. XP

    1) It could be going faster, but it SHOULD be done before the year is out even. I want before the month is out in all honesty. We'll see. Then it's back to Grave Story.

    2) WELL....... I've always been fascinated by end-of-the-world scenarios- yes, that means zombie apocalypses.
    I've noticed there's no zombie apocalypse stories where it's a magical cause, so why not do that? It opens up an entire avenue of creativity.
    Then thought- "why stop there, zombies have been done to death. Make it all sorts of undead." I have a sort of fascination with using undead in games- literally anything that's alive can be undead, so it offers a lot of creativity.
    Then, again, thought- "You know, it's almost never been done in a medieval/fantasy setting."


    Put all those together, along with the desire for a spiritual successor to Forum Fantasy, and boom. There you go. Grave Story.

    3) Potential of moving. I would be moving out on my own and in with someone I'm close to, about 200 miles away from really anyone I know. And to be honest, reality really hits you hard with that- it's kinda terrifying. It's probably not happening until summer now, but still.
    Few other things, like social problems and an onslaught of nightmares that won't go the hell away.

    ReplyDelete